Custard is one of the best food to give to both infants and babies. And the reason why this is so is that children find it so easy to eat and it is easily digestible for them.
Besides this, as a parent, Custard is one of the Nigerian food that you do not have to break the bank to bring to the table for your family.
Furthermore, it is the type of food that can be prepared for the whole family. This means that it is a family type of meal.
There are a whole lot of custard brands in Nigeria With lots of amazing testimonies from the consumers and customers of these brands.
However, the custard is a type of food that can be made locally in the comfort of your home. With this, you do not need to spend so much to buy custard from the store. All you will be required to do is to get all the ingredients prepared and you will be good to go.
Basically, in this post, I will be taking you through a step-by-step guide on how you can make custard here in Nigeria locally in the comfort of your home, plus, how to prepare your delicious custard in a few minutes, the best substitute for custard powder, egg and how to prepare a delicious fruity custard. Without waiting too much of your time, let us dive into the main topic of discussion.
Know what is Custard Powder? Here is what it is…
The custard is usually a dessert. It was just fortunate to grow up in a family of bakers. Personally, my idea of custard came in the form of pies at one of our annual thanksgiving. It can be made in small dishes without crusts, But my favorite out of the other flavor is the partially-baked homemade pie crust made with butter and flour, filled with a creamy mixture of whole milk, eggs, sugar, and many other spices.
Generally, Custard is a yellow-looking thick, creamy dessert that is particularly made up of eggs or specifically egg yokes milk, flavoring, and sweeteners. The custard is thickened with egg. Sometimes, starch can also be used as one of its additional recipes. There is a whole lot to talk about when it comes to custard and all its ingredients. But not to worry, I will explain to you all you need to know in making a custard from scratch as well as how to prepare it for your babies and family.
Ingredients Needed For HomeMade Custard Flour
There are four important ingredients you need to have while thinking of preparing your custard at home. They are:
- Corn flour
- Milk Powder
- Powdered Coloring (Yellow Color)
- Vanilla Sugar.
Preparation Steps For Homemade Custard Flour
- Mix the sugar with the vanilla extract
- Blend both the Sugar + Vanilla till fine
- Transfer the powdered sugar and seive it in a bowl
- Add about 1/2 cup of milk powder, cornflour, and 1/4 tablespoon of yellow coloring to the fine vanilla powdered sugar
- Sieve well until all lumps are properly seived aside.
- Mix the sieved portion well again until the homemade custard powder is ready.
- Store the custard powder in an airtight place
How to prepare fruit Custard
- Pour the suitable measure of custard powder into a small bowl
- Add about the right measure of milk
- Whisk the two together until both are homogenous and free of lump
- Transfer the mixture to a Kadai( Locally known as a frying pan)
- Keep the heat very low and mix consistently until the custard gets thickened to satisfaction ( This should take like 10 minutes)
- Transfer the just made custard into another bowl and allow to cool (preferably in a refrigerator)
- After 25 minutes of refrigerating, the custard should be thicker and creamier
- Now it’s time to add some other ingredients (5 cashews, Dates, Almonds, pistachios ) depending on what you feel like adding.
- Mix well, and finally, your homemade fruit custard is ready using our homemade dry custard flour.
- You can as well just put some measure of water on fire
- After boiling and ensuring the custard and milk are rightly mixed together
- Pour the hot water on the mixture and stir consistently until the mixture gets thickened.
- If it isn’t thick enough, then pour it into a cooking pot and heat it under a low head while turning it consistently.
- After it is thickened, pour it into a bowl and follow the necessary process of cooling and adding fruits or any other thing you might want to add.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the frequently asked question on how to make custard flour
What goes well with custard?
Thinking of what dessert is best you can have with your custard? Here is a list of nice fruity collections that’s goes well with custard for a better taste and nutrient:
- Bread and Butter Pudding
- Fruity Bread Pudding
- Hot Cross Bun Chocolate Pudding
- Honey Pudding
- Old Fashioned Lemon Cakes
- Apple and Raisin Oat crumble
- Vanilla & Lemon Custard With panettone crumble
- Mini Apple and Cranberry pies
- Caramelized White Chocolate, Raspberry, and Custard Pudding
- White Chocolate and Custard Tart with Nutmeg Pastry
- Andy Bowden’s Salted Maple Custard Pie with Rosemary and Macadamia
- Pomegranate and Rosewater Mille-Feuille
- Brandy Salted Caramel Doughnuts
- Rhubarb Tarte Tatin
- Salted Caramel Apple Crumble
How can I make custard from custard powder?
Do you want to prepare a nice delicious custard from your just made homemade custard flour/ powder, here is a step by step guide you can follow:
To prepare your custard, put the right measure of custard powder together with sugar into a cup or jug (The amount of custard powder you out will determine the thickness of the outcome while the amount of sugar you out will determine how sweet the custard will taste).
Add a little amount of water to the mixture and stir until a smooth paste is achieved. Ensure there is no lump to avoid having a lump after making the custard.
Put the custard Jug inside a microwave and heat it for like 2 minutes. Bring it out and stir it together, then put it back again for another 2 minutes. Repeat this process until the desired texture and thickness is achieved.
After then, ring it out and then add all the other addons you want to add. Then enjoy your custard.
What’s the process of making custard without custard powder?
To make your custard without custard powder: All you have to do is mix sugar, corn starch, and milk together in a saucepan. Boil everything together. Then add a bit of hot stuff to some quantity of beaten egg yolks. After then, you can now pour the hot egg yolks into the rest of the milk sugar and stir consistently until smooth and creamy. Add flavoring and allow to cool. Yeah! our custard is ready.
Some substitutes for custard powder while making custard are:
- Pudding Mix
- Pastry Cream.
- Tapioca Pudding.
- Water Chestnut.
- Baking Soda.
- Cornstarch combined with Cornflour.
- Milk and Eggs.
Can I make custard without eggs?
Yes, you can make an eggless custard. Here are good replacements you can use:
- Soy flour
- Agar Powder
- Chickpea Flour
- Pureed Tofu